MBTI and IQ

MBTI, Keirsey Temperament Sorter, Socionics etc. and its application to ENTJs and others

MBTI and IQ

Postby mserogerb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Which of the MBTI types relates to the highest IQ levels? I have seen on line that INTJ's are the highest?
Is this true?
mserogerb

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Re: MBTI and IQ

Postby PoodleSyndrome » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:17 am

I know an INTJ whose IQ is 100. The other I know are above average in the top 10%.

From observing the 3 INTJs, I think they do a fabulous job in the the public relations department on how they present themselves as brainboxes. Even with the one who is of average IQ, is very competitive and likes to be see as smart. The INFP I know is super smart, but you would never ever guess that she is, she passes off as a fashionista when you meet her!

My opinion is there is no direct corelationship between MBTI and IQ. I think you're just seeing with INTJs is their outward public persona which they show to the world - smart, logical, rational and knowlegeable competent person. Public image isn't always consistent with what they really are like.

So basically I disagree with your proposition. :)
The smartest dog is .... a Border Collie.
PoodleSyndrome

Postby mserogerb » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:36 am

It was not a proposition. It was a question!

mserogerb.
mserogerb

Postby llBradll » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:46 am

I have to completely disagree with you here Poodle.

http://mbtitruths.blogspot.com/2011/03/iq-and-mbti_20.html

I think NT types are sort of wired to have higher IQs due to what the test is looking for. Other people are quite positive that introversion also is favored in the testing. I think IQ tests are somewhat arbitrary though, unless you're looking for a very specific kind of intelligence. There are tons of smart people with low IQs who have it all together and some sky high IQs that don't seem smart when there mind is applied to many aspects of life.

My mind is wired to get a high score in regards to IQ, but I don't see myself as a genius. I see it as a test that's sort of made for me. Testing in school also seems to be set up the same way.
llBradll

MBTI Type: iNTj

Postby lamer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 am

the statics actually says nothing much! as many dont take the test at all, hence are not included in the statics! who say if they dont have IQ of a genuine?
anyways, IQ is just one of forms of intelligence. it doesnt indicate whether you can be a successful person or not. and other kinds of intelligence are also important. that's why we distinguise " intelligence" from " wisdom" ;) ( i personally prefer people with the second one)
Per timorem ambulate! Flammam in anima ardete! Longa et obcura nox a prima luce superabitur.
lamer

Postby llBradll » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:52 am

Lamer-- there is really no large sample group I've come across yet but it seems just as possible that there are several NTs who didn't take the test as well. You seem to have stated that it can't be proven but at the same time I really doubt you could disprove my hypothesis. As you and I, as well as the article have stated, iq is more or less one kind of intelligence. I don't wish to debate that.
llBradll

Postby PoodleSyndrome » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 am

Hi Brad! I had look at the link you provided. It shows a whole list of people with high IQs mainly NTs, and a lot of INTJs. What I find disconcerting about this list is that includes a list of people from the past who died before the IQ tests was invented. Meaning that these people never took the test, but are prescribed IQ scores? And who is to say that their MBTI is correct? Sorry about nitpicking about the validty of the info presented.

I do understand what you mean about NTs being better wired for IQ tests, iq tests for mathematics and linguistic skill sets. I talked to my INFP friend about this and she said she scored big on the linguistics part of the test, and whereas I scored big on the mathematics test. So I in theory one would see more people who are good in linguistics do well in this test who are not represented on your list who are not NTs. Something doesn't add up. Am I missing something?
The smartest dog is .... a Border Collie.
PoodleSyndrome

Postby llBradll » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:50 am

http://research.similarminds.com/intelligence-test-performance-and-myers-briggs-type/28

Again another partial link, but it does a better job than the last to show connection to attributes that would indicate high IQ. I don't think there's actually any type vs IQ information in high detail around.

Poodle- That list is done by the publisher of the article, which means there is room for plenty of error. That being said, I would agree with the greater part of their evaluations. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't crazy about that data either. Just throwing it out there as an example.

As far as linguistics goes, it seems like a smaller part of the test. I also see linguistics as having lower connection with high IQ than mathematics. I suspect high IQ people have good linguistic skills, but I see the linguistics spectrum as something that lower IQ people could master before mastering the mathematics spectrum.
llBradll

Postby lamer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:46 am

i think introvert types mostly get high ratios due to the huge amount of them spend time on net and take thousands of tests, why extrovert types throwing themselves outside and concentrate on other things rather than just all those boring tests. they want something more useful- at least it can fulfill their realistic purposes.
also, it's easy to manipulate the score, i.e you can get higher score if you do the tests so many times.
Per timorem ambulate! Flammam in anima ardete! Longa et obcura nox a prima luce superabitur.
lamer

Postby llBradll » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 pm

That's a fairly valid point. I suspect that there is a certain amount of improvement for the INT types due to running across tests multiple times. INTs are very common in certain areas of the internet.

I think they'd still perform better regardless.
llBradll

Next

Return to Psychology and its Applications